Thursday, August 18, 2011

Attention!


As I was surfing my timeline on facebook I came across a wall post that was posted by one of the many accounts created in the name of the college I attended. The account goes by the name "Andreans Rule".  Although I do maintain that every student, in their own way is an ambassador of the institution they belong to, when I did agree to befriend the account, it was not because I actually believed the account to be a representative of the college. Not even was I expecting to get any college updates from the account as I had already graduated by then. To put it simply, I befriended the account to share in some kind of communal bonding. I was well aware that the account was created by a student of the college but I guess somewhere between the name of the account and the escalating number of friends, I seemed to have forgotten that.

What caught my attention was the following post:
 And the comment that followed by the account holder that read “check out this losers profile hes from r college”

While all of us do have our prejudices involved in our actions, I believe there is a sense of decorum that one must maintain when handling a public account or an account that aims to be very public.  It is more than clear that the owner of the account has involved his personal opinions.

I have been a victim of bullying and cyber bullying seems to be the new issue. With shows like Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars, the subject may seem little, but far from that it is. I urge every friend of mine that has the account as a mutual friend to take immediate action.  I personally am going to unfriend the account myself and would appreciate it if you'll could take similar action.

No comments:

Post a Comment