You know the feeling you have when you're at your work desk and you’d rather be in a lecture hall? Nostalgia? Yes... that... Well it hit me today.
After 333 days (yes, it's been that long) I have finally started to miss being back in college. That is not to say I haven't missed the environment before. I just miss it most today.
Here are some of the things I miss the most
- New wardrobe: The start of a new academic year implied that I needed new clothes to go with it. I miss being able to go shopping and wonder if it would be good for college. The other day, I spotted these good skater shoes and I asked myself ‘Do I need them?’. When work demands you to dress formally, whatever that is, you tend to let go a little of fashion. Over the past 333 days, I let go of a lot.
- The guilt-free disposal of cash: This goes with my previous point. I work hard for the money now
- The built-in workout: Most of you may not relate to this, but back when I was in college, I would walk to the station and back. The beauty of this was it was a work-out that went with my size and my eating habits. Over the past 333 days, I have gained 11 pounds and gone up a size.
- Inspiration: With a major like Literature and minors like Psychology and Sociology, you can't afford not to think and be inspired.
- Prof. Susan Lobo: Enough said
- Working Hours: I feel shameful for complaining for having lectures until noon. When you have a 9 hour shift at work, one can only yearn for what is lost.
- Friends: Not matter how much I would like to believe it, my colleagues just don't get me the way some of my friends do.
And I could go on you know... But my point is that there is nothing like college. I can't help but feel that I have grown old too quick. And what worries me the most is that very soon all of it will be nothing but a vague memory.
Tell me, what do you miss the most about college? I would love to hear what some of you have to say
was perfectly true for me too, except for 1 and 2, which were the exact opposite for me!
ReplyDeletei was at my unfashionable grungy worst in college (the xaviers effect i guess... nobody cared there!), and so broke that i used to sell the contents of my lunchbox for booze money :D