“And was it his destined part
Only one moment in his life
To be close to your heart?
Or was he fated from the start
to live for just one fleeting instant,
within the purlieus of your heart.”
Only one moment in his life
To be close to your heart?
Or was he fated from the start
to live for just one fleeting instant,
within the purlieus of your heart.”
Ivan Turgenev - “The Flower”
Adopted as the epigram in Dostoyevsky's “White Nights”
Reading the above lines, I couldn’t help but wonder have we nested ourselves in an environment where we’re not susceptible to emotion? Have we managed to become cold hearted somewhere between our jobs and the availability of valium?
I believe one of the downers of this day and age is that we are so afraid to fully experience an emotion that we numb the pain or drown the joy with good quality alcohol.
When was the last time you truly and fully experienced an emotion? This reminds me a lot of what I read in a book by Mitch Albom (love the man). We need to make peace with what we are feeling, he says. Let it fully and truly consume us and once it has, we move on. We say to the emotion, I have experienced you and I have walked in your shoes, Now, I must move on.
By doing so we are able to understand just how strong we are and in most cases, surprise ourselves. It is very easy to distract ourselves from what we are feeling. The question is, are we really doing well?
No comments:
Post a Comment