Okay, most of my reader have known me ever since college but had you have known me since school you would know that I was very timid and quiet. And if you know me well enough, you would also know how much I have harbored to dislike my school and how much I dislike it till date.
There have come many opportunities in the past where I have been invited to meet up with some classmates and I have passed this opportunity because I didn't want to face them and in all honesty, I was a little embarrassed as I felt I wasn’t successful enough to meet them just yet. But last Thursday I was invited to one of country’s infamous house-parties that was hosted in celebration of a classmate’s birthday. This obviously implied that the invite list would include several familiar names from high-school. At first I thought I wouldn't go but then a colleague told me to go saying that I had come a long way since high-school and that I should really be proud of myself. She also mentioned that if I didn't like it, I could leave early. According to her, it was important I went to give them all a chance. Believing that they too could have grown up like me, she insisted I go and so I did.
Believe me when I say this, I am so glad I did. No, my classmates haven't changed. They are still shallow and petty like they were in school and are just searching for a reason to get drunk. But it really opened my eyes to how far I have really come since then and just how right I was about most of them. But most importantly, it has opened my eyes to just how lucky I have been since then to have met so many wonderful people who love me and support me and are proud of whom I am. People such as Susan, Sean, Jag and the rest of team from Harvey Nichols who encourage me every single day to take that leap of faith to push my boundaries and further my horizon. People like Gustavo Nickolai, Nikita and Dahiya who help me not understand but define my potential. And for all that these people do, I am eternally indebted.
No comments:
Post a Comment