Saturday, March 12, 2011

We Belong To The Music

I love a good performance. Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, Glee; all drive me gaga. I have to be honest. Watching Kurt Hummel (Chris Colfer) perform Defying Gravity did make me tear and the contestants of American Idol performing ‘Please Don’t Stop the Music’ for Idol Gives Back in 2008 did make me weak in the knees. 

My social world is no stranger to creativity and this blog is dedicated to some of the finest dancers and singers I have met across the years. Most of them do have Facebook profiles and you may reach them there. But I ask you sternly, do not harass them. Should I be aware of any such treatment to any of my friends. I shall make sure to make your life hell. In an absolute random order, here goes 


Sarah Desouza



Well I’ve known her the longest and to be honest, she would not have made it on the list had we not have chatted the other day (sorry). Her angelic voice singing ‘You Said’ by Shane Brnard at our Twelfth Grade Class Assembly managed to make it on the playlist of my past three phones and her singing ‘Blurry’ during a lecture by Mrs. Geeta Niar in Tenth grade still rings in my ears. I really wish she did consider taking her singing a bit more seriously. 




Dwayne Gamree




His voice can make angels cry, in a good way though. Initially he started as just a Jazz singer and would steal everyone’s heart with his covers of Michael BublĂ©. I cannot stress just how thrilled I am to see him progress from there. In my opinion, some of his best performances include ‘A Little Less Conversation’ and ‘Let’s just fall in love’. If you would like to catch him, he does perform at Lemon Grass in Bandra and yes, I think he does cover event.




Brynelle D’silva


This girl has got one of the strongest voices I have encountered and it only fits the equally strong personality she has. What’s better? She stays next door so I get to hear her sing a lot often. Well not really, but I’m trying to make you jealous. She performs often at Not Just Jazz by the Bay and is quite participative in church activities. 




Eden Shyodhi 




Do not for one second be confused by this model/singers docile looks. Her voice is powerful and on her worst performance can give Alicia Keys a run for her money. I can truly say I am honored to have met her. She used to perform with Paperclip Airplane but currently performs duets with her beau Jason D’Souza at various places including the Hard Rock CafĂ© and Blue Frog. 

Nilav Ivorine 



Nilav is also one of those powerful singers with a powerful look to go with it. Searching for a picture of her is rather challenging. Most of them either have her in a very scary look and the rest of them have her hugging the life out of someone. You need not be intimidated by this Queen of the Night. In reality she’s soft as a feather and wouldn’t even hurt a fly. 


Dhiraj Bakshi 






Ashjhgfsohfklafglhglhgdgfjkgfjkgdsakjlfgfjkdsjfkhdsfhdskhfksdhkfhkdlsahfklsadhklfhsdkjfhkdsnfkldshfjkhsdklfhsdklfhk;ldshfkhdslkfhdsa;fklashfkjhdaskj;fhsdjkafjkdsbghfrtsdfbjsdf’ 

No that is not a mistake or a glitch. I am at loss of words when it comes to Dhiraj. Nothing I say about this dancer will suffice. In an attempt to best define him, I’d call him Skylark (especially with his lifts). One that best comes to life when deep in music. His performance of ‘Singing in the Rain’ at In Tune 2010 was breathtaking. The performance was repeated at the Khala Goda Art Festival 2011 and I only wish I was in attendance.
Dhiraj does run his own Dancing School that goes by the name Splitsole Dance Academy (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000874161866




Grisha Divecha




Grisha is possibly the only person on this list I have yet to see actually perform. But she’s absolutely stunning and form what I’ve heard deserves a spot here. She’s choreographed many dance routines that have appeared on Indian television I’ve been told and has also participated on a dance-off that aired on Star Plus. 


Karena Lobo




Karena possesses what I like to believe as Butter feet. She melts upon the dance floor and has everyone mesmerized right from the start. She has trained under Sandeep Suparkar and has appeared in several television commercials including one for Lux. What’s rather special is that I have had the privilege to dance with her occasionally.

5 comments:

  1. i also dance man.... forgot....???.... ... ;P thnks

    ReplyDelete
  2. #ilike. (Note to self- must get Dwayne to sing next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously Well Compiled ! :) :)
    I enjoyed reading and suddenly I realise that I am friends with sooo many celebrities already ! :D :D

    Dwayne ! I have never seen you dance. Will call you during our next XYZ stint...so that you can dazzle the stage with your dance moves ! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do-Wayne! i don't remember you dancing. except for that one time on the catwalk with Karena at Farewell. You dance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Arundhati - i guess it's because we attend St. Andrews. You have got to meet Sarah and Grisha as well.

    ReplyDelete